Monday, May 7, 2012

Medicine





I don't know what it is about this late forties body. These parts wage war against each other. At dawn I woke up with a scratchy throat and some sneezing. OK, allergies. Nothing a Claritin can't fix. Night pollen I call it, true to my poetic self. But at work my head hurt. My back stiffened. This hasn't happened in some time. I am not one to leave the office over a little ache, but this one came all over me with some weight on my heart.  I needed to cut out. At noon, I took off for Half Moon Bay.



This last weekend was quite emotional. On Saturday my daughter moved into a studio and my youngest son attended his Junior Prom. These are milestones specially since they are my youngest children. I feel myself transitioning again. Not sure this is going to be fun. By experience however, this is my cure: a long nature walk, a conversation with God and to tell you the truth, thick, dark chocolate.


As I stood by the roaring ocean underneath the bright warmth of the sun, I immediately felt humbled and grateful. To be surrounded by the perfection of nature, so alive and new every moment is overwhelming to behold. It changes by the second yet remains amazing. And there I was in the middle of it all.

God, you hold everything in place and calibrate it with precision.


I trust you will land me softly on a cushion that is my empty nest.




No comments:

Post a Comment