Monday, May 7, 2012

Junior Prom

Wow, I'm feeling sentimental tonight. I just arrived from taking pictures of my son at the pre prom party up in Emerald Hills. I watched my youngest, now 17, all dapper and handsome in his suit work the room with his very pretty date in arm. This is a snapshot of the man he'll turn out to be. At home in his skin. Mellow. Sincere. Self assured. 

Earlier today he sent me an MMS of himself all dressed up for his evening and I flew over the moon. We barely have two years together before he goes to college. Where did it all go? 

After work I maniacally monitored the traffic, straining my neck over the 92 trying to assess the 101. I knew he was en route from picking up his date in Burlingame. I didn't want him to be late. "Don't take the 101. Go 280 or El Cam. LMK when you're close. Send me the address!! " I've asked him for this several times this afternoon (not counting yesterday). Finally a text came in: "Any number on Danford Street"

"???????!!!!! " ( Code for Stage Mom panic mode) WHAT. "Give me a number!!!"

"LOL... 2?" He dared respond.

"THERE"D BETTER BE A 2!!!"

He does this. Over the years since he was a little boy, he'd give me the most obscure directions to where he needed to be picked up. "Straight up Brittan and then go straight Mama." Or " Left, right, when you see a red gate turn right .. " Still, I would find him although at my wits end, usually out of breath and patience.


Some things never change, I guess.


Tonight, I found him. I found him by a house in the cul de sac on Danford Street (with three digits). I watched him come down the stairs. I swooned at the sight of my handsome young man, avidly texting away while my phone buzzed,


"Where are you Mom?"

"I'm here Baby. " 
Reaching up to give him my black belt who's-your-Mommy kiss.

This is good, I'm thinking. There's no need to learn to tell me where to go. 


Because no matter how obscure the way,

 I will find you.








No comments:

Post a Comment